Operation Christmas Child
Each year Four Corners Baptist Church joins with the Samaritan’s Purse Organization and participates in Operation Christmas Child.
Since 1993, more than 100 million boys and girls in over 130 countries have experienced God’s love through the power of simple shoebox gifts from Operation Christmas Child. Samaritan’s Purse works with local churches such as 4CBC to fill the boxes and share the life-changing Good News of Jesus Christ.
This year 4CBC has set a goal of filling 200 shoeboxes. This is done by members and friends of 4CBC picking up empty shoeboxes from the church, filling them with age-appropriate items for children. These boxes are then sent to children all over the world.
The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Click here to visit the official Operation Christmas Child Website
A donation of $9 or more helps us cover the expense of shipping your box to a child. We prefer that these donations be made by check (place in an envelope in the box) or by using the online donation option. When you give online you are also able to tack and follow your box online to its destination. Click here to give your donation online.
Here’s how to help:
Step 1 – Shoe Box Pick up an Operation Christmas Child shoebox at church or use an empty shoebox (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
Step 2 – Boy or Girl Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Use the appropriate boy/girl label (available at church). Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
Step 3 – Fill With Gifts Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Use the gift ideas provided on the bottom of this page. Please include at least one item a child can immediately embrace such as a stuffed toy, doll, ball or toy truck.
Step 4 - Include $9 Donation Please donate $9 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
Step 5 Return to 4CBC Place a rubber band around each closed shoebox and drop it off at 4CBC.
Suggestions for what you can pack in your shoebox:
- School Supplies – Pens, pencils & sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Toys – small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch-A-Sketch, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky, etc.
- Hygiene Items – Toothbrush, toothpaste, mild soap bar (in a plastic bag), comb, hair brush, washcloth, etc.
- Other – T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
- A Personal Note – You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself and/or your family. You can even include your name and address and the child may write back.
- Do Not Include – Used or damaged items, war-related items such as toy guns, knives, or military figures, chocolate or food, out-of-date candy, liquids or lotions, medications nor vitamins, breakable items such as snow-globes or glass containers, aerosol cans